REACH: Recruitment of Engineering ACHievers
November 21 & 22, 2013 (Updated Program Dates)
USC Campus - Los Angeles, California
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
REACH is an all-expenses paid, doctoral preview program that takes place at USC’s University Park Campus near downtown Los Angeles. Round-trip transportation, lodging and meals for REACH participants will be paid for by the USC Viterbi School. Attendees who later apply to the USC Viterbi School for doctoral study will also have their $85 application fee waived.
In fulfilling our mission, the USC Viterbi School of Engineering actively recruits engineering achievers from all backgrounds into its doctoral degree programs, particularly students historically underrepresented in the field (African-American, Latino and Native American). Through REACH, under-represented engineering achievers get firsthand exposure to exciting research opportunities, world-class faculty, rich academic programs, and stellar student services and mentoring resources.
Selected participants will have the opportunity to:
- learn about Viterbi School engineering doctoral programs of study
- gain insight on the graduate application, admission and financial aid processes at USC
- interact with current and prospective doctoral students, faculty, and staff in the Viterbi School
- find out about summer research opportunities in the Viterbi School
- benefit from special presentations and workshops by faculty and staff
- participate in tours of the USC campus, research labs, and departmental facilities
- experience USC campus life and explore the greater Los Angeles area
Eligible juniors are invited to apply to participate in the REACH program. Only those individuals who have a strong record of academic achievement and are seriously considering Ph.D. study upon graduation are encouraged to apply.
Exceptional seniors with a demonstrated background in research will also be considered.
- 3.5 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in undergraduate studies is recommended
- Majors in engineering, applied mathematics, or physical sciences (biology, chemistry, physics)
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or a citizen of Canada
- Applications are particularly encouraged from students who are Black/African Americans, Latino/Chicano Americans, Native Americans, and Pacific Islanders.
- The online REACH application form, including a 500-word statement of intent
- Two letters of reference submitted by faculty on behalf of the applicant.
(Note: a third letter from a faculty, staff person, or researcher is optional)
- Unofficial academic transcript.
DIVERSITY AT THE VITERBI SCHOOL
The University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering takes pride as a preeminent engineering institution in sharing the responsibility of producing high-quality and diverse graduates fully reflective of our pluralistic society to fulfill the 21st century technical workforce needs of this country and the global community at large. Through our world-class faculty, rich academic programs, and stellar student services and mentoring resources, we are committed to attracting, retaining, training, graduating and placing outstanding men and women students from all backgrounds and demographic sectors of our multi-cultural, diverse world. Engineering professionals that are life-long learners and equipped with a diversified skill set are best suited to discover, integrate, and adapt to new knowledge and experiences dynamically and effectively as the technology, culture, and needs of the global society continue to evolve. The Viterbi School strives to be a national and international leader in their quest.
The application for REACH is now closed. Thank you, we look forward to a great event.
Please contact us
with any questions about the REACH program.